Upper Hutt City Football’s top junior teams took part in the Western Suburbs Soccer Club Wellington Graded Champs over at Endeavour Park in Whitby over the weekend.
It was an outstanding couple of days of football, with the club finishing 2nd overall to hosts Western Suburbs. The tournament took on a new format this year, providing teams (in some grades) the opportunity to battle it out in Cup, Plate, Bowl and Shield competitions. Some great team and individual performances and fantastic preparation for those teams taking part in the upcoming Douglas Villa Tournament in Masterton 20-21 September and the McCartney Invitational Tournament in Taupo 11/12 October 2014.
- 7th grade won an action packed playoff 7-6 against Wests Yellow to take 3rd place.
- 8th grade finished 1st with a 5-1 win over Petone in the Cup Final. UHCF’s Rio Winkworth was also the MVP for the grade and golden boot winner with 19 goals.
- 9th grade Upper Hutt Hurricanes finished 1st with a comprehensive 6-1 win over Wests Tomcats in the Cup Final. A much closer game in the Bowl final, won by UH Red Star, 1-0 over Petone. UHCF’s Alex Mort also won MVP for the grade.
- 10th grade “A” team had a tough semi-final in the Plate competition, with a 5-0 loss to North Wellington, whilst the B team finished 2nd in the Bowl competition, losing to Lower Hutt in the final.
- 11th grade PSG Storm “A” team were beaten by Karori in the Cup semi-final and the Dragons “B” team lost to Petone in the semi-final of the Plate competition.
- Finally, our 12th Grade “A” team lost 2-0 to eventual winners Wests Titans in the Cup semi-final, and our UH Renegades “B” team lost a close Plate final just 1-0 against Wests Rangers.