You are currently viewing Football at COVID Alert Level 2 – What you need to know

Football at COVID Alert Level 2 – What you need to know

  • Post category:Club

12 August 2020

Please see update from Capital Football for football at Alert Level 2 below. At this stage, the biggest impact is on our junior footballers (U7-U12s). Note First Kicks is also cancelled this weekend.

Although training sessions can carry on (with additional requirements in place), if you feel anxious about attending training please let your coach know.

Stay safe football family!


Dear Clubs,

Thank you for your patience as we regroup after the announcement of heading back into Alert Level 2. Please see below the plan for football in the Capital:

JUNIOR FOOTBALL | U7 to U12 grades
For the weekend of the 15th and 16th of August, ALL CAPITAL FOOTBALL JUNIOR COMPETITIONS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED INCLUDING CAPITAL FOOTBALL FESTIVALS FOR U7-U8. This is regardless of any Alert Level updates from the Government expected on Friday.

Due to the large numbers of players, volunteers, parents/caregivers and supporters at festivals and games, we believe the safest option is to hold off on taking the fields this weekend.

However, if we are to stay at Alert Level 2 for an extended period of time, we do intend on playing Junior Football. We believe taking this weekend to take stock and plan what that looks like is the safest option and will have us all in a better place for Junior football next weekend should we be able to restart at that point.

YOUTH FOOTBALL | U13 to U18 grades
For this Friday the 14th and the weekend of the 15th and 16th of August, all Youth Football will go ahead as scheduled and follow the normal cancellation process.

We are currently in conversation with College Sport Wellington to ensure the decision around football in the wider Wellington region for youth players is aligned and will continue to update you as these decisions are made.

For the weekend of the 15th and 16th of August, all Senior Football will go ahead as scheduled and follow the normal cancellation process.

If we are to stay in Alert Level 2 (update expected Friday), all Alert Level 2 Guidelines must be in place, including:
• Contact tracing systems
• Correct and effective hygiene measures (available hand sanitizer, no sharing of drink bottles)
• Remember to disinfect your equipment before and after use
• Social distancing where possible, 2 metres in open areas and 1 metre in confined spaces (leaving and entering fields)
• Max 100 person gatherings
• Avoid touch points where possible
• Refrain from engaging in ceremonial walkouts or conducting handshakes with the opposition

Checklists can be found on the Capital Football website

If we move back to Alert Level 1 (update expected Friday);
Contact tracing and gathering restrictions are not required, however, please be mindful and practice good hygiene at all times.

If we move up to Alert Level 3 (update expected Friday);
All football for the weekend of the 15th and 16th of August will be cancelled as Alert level 3 indicates a maximum of 10 person gatherings. We will communicate directly with you if this occurs to confirm this plan.

Trainings whilst we are at Alert Level 2 can continue as long as proper guidelines are in place and followed including contact tracing, proper hygiene practices and max gatherings of 100 people.
Please be vigilant on these points and refer back to the checklist and guidelines.

Contact tracing is a requirement at Alert Level 2 and must be in place for all football activities.
We strongly suggest that our football community uses the Government recommended contact tracing app, the NZ COVID TRACER. This can be found on the App store or Google Play.
The New Zealand Football recommended contact tracing tool is IDME so we also suggest having this in place for all football activity.
IDME creates ground codes that the football community input into their IDME App to log their activity.
The Capital Football Ground Codes are available on our website, and the IDME app is free to download from the App store or Google play.

At this stage, the changing rooms at Maidstone Turf remain OPEN at Alert Level 2.

A reminder that at Alert Level 2, clubroom bar and food facility must follow the guidelines put in place for restaurants and bars under the Government’s Guidelines for Businesses under Alert Level 2, including but not limited to:
• Patrons must remain seated.
• The number of people within gatherings and the total number of gatherings is managed.
• Fulfilling all other health and safety obligations.
Note: further update to come re the opening (or not) of the Maidstone Clubrooms.

If at any stage we return to Alert Level 3, all football playing activity will be cancelled.
Once again, if this was to occur we will communicate further information directly to you.

As of midday Wednesday the 12th, the Capital Football team will be working from home. We are still available via email, and cellphone, so please feel free to reach out if needed.
Please be mindful that this is a changing situation and we will do our best to communicate new information as it becomes available.
We will continue to touch base when necessary, but please in the meantime feel free to reach out with questions!

Kind regards,
The Capital Football Team